John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

We have a Behning (so prior to 1881) rosewood square grand

Customer Question

We have a Behning (so prior to 1881) rosewood square grand piano that was purchased by a family member from Lionel Barrymore's estate 60 years ago. (As you may know, besides acting, Lionel Barrymore was also a composer). The piano mechanisms need refurbishing. Do you know anyone in the Dallas area who refurbishes these pianos?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question William. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you.

An interesting Piano. This is going to be quite a specialised job and could be quite expensive.

Please have a look at this site:- www.ptg.org which is the Piano Technicians Guild. On this site you should find someone, hopefully, quite near to you. Look for a listing which indicates that they specialize in the type of restoration/repair work you need completing. Contact one near to you even if they do not specifically state that they do this type of work, as they will almost certainly know someone or a number of people who could help you with this work.

Another possibility is to see if a company such as the Antique Piano Shop which has a large scale operation carrying out this type of work would be able to help you. Have a look at their website at:-

http://antiquepianoshop.com/products/square-grand/?decade=183&brand=&status=

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with an excellent service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Hello again William. I see that you have not yet viewed my appraisal answer - it could be that you did not receive it, so I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question? I would be very grateful if you could please let me know.