twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

About how much is the $Value$ of a ("Diploma of Honor" -

Customer Question

About how much is the $Value$ of a ("Diploma of Honor " - "Paris Exposition 1878" - "Schaeffer Chicago" Upright / Made with Tiger Maple") Piano
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

What is the serial number of your piano?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40915
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Condition
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that's the serial number, Not sure.I'm a Violinist
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

The serial number indicates that this piano was built in 1909. I have two more questions for you: has the piano been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tuned" -Yes / "Internal Restoration" - No, It Never Needed Any.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Any piano of that age would need some restoration. It is more than 100 years old!

Older pianos do not have any value based on their being old. This is because the parts wear out and must be replaced. People who buy pianos are not collecting them; they are buying them to play.

Aside from not having any restoration, if your piano is in very good condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $800. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $320, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating!

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!