Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a upright piano with ivory keys that I want to sell.

Customer Question

I have a wood upright piano with ivory keys that I want to sell. It's over 100 years old, there is one ivory key covering that is missing, one key doesn't play. Slight finish damage. It was made in San Francisco and belonged to my grandmother. Any idea what the ballpark selling price should be?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

What's the brand? When was it last tuned? Any chance you could attach some photos showing inside and outside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the brand. Here are pictures I took yesterday.

Thanks for the photos. It is important to know that old upright pianos like this one are worth very little in original, unrestored condition. This is due to the fact they are mechanical instruments and those thousands of parts wear, rust, corrode, etc over the decades. You can tell just by looking at the metal on the pedals of this piano that it is severely tarnished. I would be surprised if the internal parts were not in similar condition. While the outer cabinet appears in good shape, it is really what's inside that matters most. Because of this, pianos aren't valued like antiques--they aren't worth a lot just because they're old. I see this piano is in a non-climate-controlled storage unit as well and that time exposed to temperature and humidity changes is not good for a piano. Based on the photos and information provided as well as the used piano market and recent sales, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $50-$250. Best wishes!
Please select a rating at the top before leaving, it is the only way I'm credited for working with you today. Thanks!

Hi, did you need any more help with this question? I see you've viewed my answer but not selected a rating. I'm only credited for working with you when you select a rating. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I want to make sure your inquiry is fully answered. Thanks!