twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have a very old violin that belonged to my great

Customer Question

I have a very old violin that belonged to my great grandfather. I am not 100% sure how old but my grandfather was born in 1904 and his dad had this before then. Inside it says Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 17. Made in Germany. I have
no idea of where to take it in to get an appraisal so I was hoping to get at least some idea if there is any antique value at all. I have the original bow as well but of course the horse hair has completely dry rotted.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with this question.

Your violin is a workshop copy of a Stradivarius model, made in one of several factories in Germany between 1921 and 1946 (the phrase "Made in Germany" was not in use until 1921). They were turned out by the thousands, primarily for export, and are still considered to be good student instruments today (not for concert performers).

If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $400, depending on location and actual condition. The bow is usually included in the price of the violin.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating!

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

I need your favorable rating!