twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

1895 knabe concert grand. Ivory Keys Rosewood. Cracked

Customer Question

1895 knabe concert grand. Ivory Keys Rosewood. Cracked soundboard. Approx value please
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm here to help.

Has this piano been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration? Any other flaws aside from the cracked soundboard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it hasn't been tuned in a while. We are moving this month and need to move it. We will not have room in our new place.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information.

Older pianos do not have any value based on their being old. This is because the parts wear out and must be replaced. People who buy pianos are not collecting them; they are buying them to play.

Also, pianos that have not been regularly tuned, will not hold a tuning.

So, older pianos that have not been restored are at a disadvantage in the market. Add to that the cracked soundboard, and it looks as if your piano has a low market value.

If the piano is in very good cosmetic condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $600, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating!

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!