Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I believe that I have a Square Grand Piano. I would like to

Customer Question

I believe that I have a Square Grand Piano. I would like to know its age & its value. I am interested in selling it.
Painted on the front, in the center above the keys, is the following information: Hannig Scheihe Meyer & Herzberg Union Company Philadelphia.
A paper label inside the piano says: SAF(3 letters torn away)D & SONS PIANO MANUFACTURERS Dealers in all kinds Musical Merchandise Piano Tuning a Specialty 352 N Harrison St. Chicago.
My family bought it in 1954 from my grandmother's ladyfriend. My grandmother was born in 1880; her friend was her contemporary. The friend's parents, who lived in Chicago, bought it (new? used?). I don't know how long they had it before their children (grandma's friend and her sister) were given piano lessons on it. By the way, the little girls had a contest to see which of them had the stronger teeth. Two of the keys have their bite marks.
The ivory fronts of a few of the keys have come off and dropped down. They are still in there I expect. Other than that the appearance of the entire piano is remarkably beautiful and all original. Unfortunately, the sounding board is cracked.
Oh, and it has only 85 keys!
Please tell me all that you can about it. Thank you, *****
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Hi Elaine, could you provide photos here as an attachment, showing both the internal and external condition of the piano? Also, when was it last tuned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when we got it in 1954 we tried to have it tuned. that was when we were told that the sounding board was cracked.sending you pictures of it is not something I know how to do. I'll seek help on that issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not check my email every day. 2-3 times a week is more like it.

Ok, I'll wait for your reply with photos. Thanks