twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have a antonius stradivarius cremohensis fadebat 1781. How

Customer Question

Kim, I have a antonius stradivarius cremohensis fadebat 1781. How can I have you appraise it for me?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with this question.

What sort of work does your violin need?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know the value of the violin I am inquiring about.
I have put some photos at this link for you to preview. Please advise.
https://trimaxrealtycorp.box.com/s/e8mkhg4nfbuzhutd7ybxhygxnd15crbsLooking forward to your response.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the pictures. From what I can see, the only work this violin needs is some repair to the finish. There are no pictures of the lower end the violin, so I am assuming that the chin rest is intact.

Your violin is a workshop copy of a Stradivarius model, made in one of the numerous factories in the towns of Markneukirchen, Mittenwald and Klingenthal, Germany at the turn of the the 20th century. The were turned out by the thousands, primarily for export, and are still considered to be good student instruments today (not for concert performers).

In the condition pictured, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $200, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating!

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would you be open to purchasing it at $200 or know the best venue to sell it out!
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry - it isn't ethical for an appraiser to value an item and then offer to buy it. I think you can see the potential for a conflict of interest there.

As for where to sell it, I think you'd do best buy selling it locally. You can list it on craigslist.com (free) or in your local newspaper. You could also post a note on the bulletin board at your local supermarket or the bulletin board at the music department of a local college or at a local music school.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i offered it to you to buy not the other way around.
If you are interested I would sell it for $200Let me know
If not I will try your suggestions (which some don't exist in our area... Los Angeles)
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

No, it would not be ethical for me to buy something I have appraised.

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.