John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a Cable Company of Chicago upright piano with the

Customer Question

i have a Cable Company of Chicago upright piano with the serial number 151680. I'm told it was made in 1930. I am having a difficult time finding that online
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you.

From the manufacturers records, the serial number dates your piano to a build year of 1924.

Could you please give me the height measured from the floor to the top of the closed top door. Do you know if your piano has had any restoration/re-build work completed on the internal mechanics over the years or is it all still as originally built. Is it currently regularly tuned and maintained?

Hello again. Do you need any further help on this question? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The piano is 52.5 in height. It was regularly tuned for sometime because his wife was an avid piano player. Not sure when the last time was. I have had piano players play it and they say it sounds great. Wondering the possible value

Hello. Thank you for the information.

The serial number dates this piano to 1924, so it is in the order of 90 years old. The height will mean that it has a good strong sound.

Pianos have a limited life in terms of their musicality due to the natural deterioration because of time passing and the wear and tear from the use of the mechanical parts. Generally around 60 to 70 years is the turning point when the performance can start to deteriorate. This time line can be extended by regular maintenance and tuning and can be further considerably extended by a restoration or total rebuild of the mechanical parts. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation is the age and condition of the internal mechanics.

Therefore with the information I have, the details you have supplied, the condition based on this piano not having had any restoration to the main mechanical parts over the years, the size and age, I believe it has a value in the region of $300 to $500 for a private sale. I am sorry that it is not better news but unfortunately there are a good many similar pianos for sale and at auction they often sell for only a few hundred dollars.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with an excellent service and receive a 5 star rating, therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click 'RATE TO FINISH', as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Hello again. I see that you have not yet followed up on my answer to your question so may I ask if you need any further help please?

I would also just like to let you know that unless you complete the question process by giving a rating for my answer I will not be credited for the answer and receive my percentage from the amount you have agreed for this question. So if you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, could I please ask you to click on the rating/star button/box. If for any reason you cannot see the rating/star button/box please just send a reply to this message on here with the rating you wish to give. Thank you again.