Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a Sohmer baby grand. The original bill of sale ($825

Customer Question

I have a Sohmer baby grand. The original bill of sale ($825 in 1908) calls it a "Bijou Louis XV piano. Its serial no. is 37872. I do not believe it has ever seen heavy use.
It was purchased by a bachelor who was a pillar of something called the Liederkranz Society who kept it in the New York apartment he shared with his sister until they died sometime around 1970. My late father was a lawyer and a long-time friend. He was the executor of their estate and received the piano in lieu of the commission. He moved the instrument to his vacation home in Maine which he stayed in during each August until he died in 2000.
I do not play and would like to sell it. I believe it is in fully playable condition. My question is how much effort should I devote to selling it. Should I be talking to people via, say, Craigs list or the local shopper's guide or to well established dealers and restorers? Should I invest money in having it rebuilt or restored? Thank you.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question! Old pianos are fairly low in value, unless they have had a full restoration and rebuild. For a piano like this, assuming it was regularly maintained and has no issues, you're looking at about a $1,500-$2,500 value in most cases. Your best option is for a private sale, by placing ads in your local paper and on craigslist. Avoid trying to sell to dealers, shops or antique houses, as you'll spend too much time and get little in return. Don't put any additional money into it since you're selling. You won't see a full return on investment if you were to restore/rebuilt and try to sell for profit. Your piano is one of a countless number of similar quality, age and condition. Sell locally and privately and you'll have your best result. Good luck!

Please remember, this website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your ((RATING)). Please,
use the rating system box, select your rating and hit submit and rate our Q&A session today. If you do not see a rating option, know
how to rate, or it will not submit, just reply and type out the rating you would like to leave. If you need to ask more questions on this
concern, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

Hi, I see the question is still open. Do you need more help?