John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

Antique Steger and Sons grand piano. Case is 64". Serial

Customer Question

Antique Steger and Sons grand piano. Case is 64 " long. Serial #21194. Great condition Plays well
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mahogany case with solid brass harp and gold leaf trim. Over 100 yrs old.
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you.

Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Do you know if there has been any restoration/replacement of the internal mechanics over the years or is it all still as originally built please?

If you have pictures of the outside and the inside, particularly the mechanical parts it would be very helpful.

Could you please attach pictures to the reply section on here using the paperclip on the menu bar.

It can be a bit tricky sometimes so if you have any difficulty have a look at the FAQs here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will send pics tonight. All original mechanics only 3 owners

Thank you. I will await the pictures and reply to you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for the information. I am sorry I was unable to telephone. Please find my appraisal answer below.

The serial number dates your piano to a year of build of 1915 so it is 100 years old. It has some very interesting detail on the cast iron frame (harp). As you have confirmed I can see from the pictures you attached that the internal mechanics are as originally built.

Pianos have a fairly finite life in terms of the musical performance they produce which starts to diminish around the 70 year point. This is due to the wear and tear on the parts as the instrument is played and the natural deterioration with time of the many mechanical parts. This time line can be extended by regular maintenance and tuning and can be considerably extended by a restoration or total rebuild of the mechanical parts.

Save for a few very unique instruments, pianos generally do not become antiques in the furniture sense of the word because they are normally purchased as a musical instrument to be played, therefore one of the overriding factors in a valuation is the condition of the internal mechanics.

Based on the information I have, the condition as described and viewed in the pictures, the name, the age of this Baby Grand Piano and the current markets, I believe it has a value in the $2,200 to $3,000.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with an excellent service and receive a 5 star rating therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click 'RATE TO FINISH', as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Hello again. I see that you have not yet followed up on my answer to your question so may I ask if you need any further help please?

I would also just like to let you know that unless you complete the question process by giving a rating for my answer I will not be credited for the research I have done and the answer. So if you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please click on the rating button/box. If for any reason you cannot see the rating button/box please just send a reply to this message on here with the rating you wish to give. Thank you again.