twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

My deceased husbands uncle gave m an old "fiddle" years ago

Customer Question

My deceased husbands uncle gave him an old "fiddle" years ago and now I would like to have it appraised. It's not in great shape, rather worn, missing two strings and one tightener at the top of the neck. I have not found the bow. The writing inside the body of the violin is imprinted with "Antonius Stradiuarius Cfemonensis Facieabat Anno 1734. I would be happy to send photos if needed. Also please state an appropriate fee for the appraisal. thank you. jean L
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jean,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with this.

You have a workshop copy of a Stradivarius model violin, made in one of the many factories in Mittenwald, Markneukirchen and Klingenthal, Germany at the turn of the 20th century. They were made primarily for export to the West, and are still considered to be good student violins (not for concert performers).

If your violin is in very good condition (missing strings and tuning pegs can be easily replaced), its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $700. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of 40% of the retail amount, or approximately $280, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Jean.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!