twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I now have my fathers stradivarius bass fiddle. He use it

Customer Question

I now have my fathers stradivarius bass fiddle. He use it during the 40's. It has been in an attic for years and is now has cracks and scratches storage and from heat. One string is still on. The label inside says Antonius Stradiuaris Cremonen Faciebat Anno 1721. Is it worth anything?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you with this.

Stradivari, although he was a prolific producer of stringed instruments, never made bass fiddles. What you have is a 'tribute" instrument, a workshop instrument, most likely made in a factory in Germany at the turn of the 20th century.

If your bass fiddle is in good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,200.

If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of 40% of the retail amount, or approximately $480, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!