Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

My mother is now deceased but she brought a baby grand piano

Customer Question

My mother is now deceased but she brought a baby grand piano about 1954 it is Stekner no 17643 & 18794 , white birch hamers , W 48in Ht 38 in , depth 48 ins can you tell me what this would be worth. It is in dark mahogany or walnut highly polished.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to provide photos showing the inside and outside of it? They can be attached here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not there now , it is in excellent condition having not been moved for all that time. It has been tuned regularly ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really this is not an answer just another question !!!
Thanks for the information. I will need some time to work on this and can get back with you in a few hours.
Thanks very much for your patience! I also find no mention of "Stekner" pianos nor a name that closely resembles that. With that in mind, I will provide an approximate value range based on age, size, condition and used market that you can use if selling the instrument. All pianos depreciate in value with age as the many parts wear, regardless of how well they are kept (though that affects value also). In addition, pianos gain value if they are larger--the smallest of pianos are lower in value. That said, a baby grand piano of only 48" long is very small. The smaller baby grands are usually at least 60" long. Check out my website listed under my qualifications which shows how to measure pianos as you may have missed part of the measurement that could add to overall size.
Considering the age and related depreciation, size, described condition with regular tuning and the used piano market, I would recommend a selling range today of approximately $2,600-$3,400 USD in a private sale. Best wishes!
Please remember, this website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your ((RATING)). Please,
use the rating system box, select your rating and hit submit and rate our Q&A session today. If you do not see a rating option, know
how to rate, or it will not submit, just reply and type out the rating you would like to leave. If you need to ask more questions on this
concern, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.