twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

How much is my 1918 Behning and Son 5'4" baby grand piano,in

Customer Question

How much is my 1918 Behning and Son 5'4" baby grand piano,in excellent original condition all the way down to its ivory keys ,serial #45726,crack free soundboard in excellent shape, no rusty or dead bass strings there is no damage to the bridge,no defects or dings in the wood.IT has a wonderful rich deep sound, it was owned by one familybefore me.and they kept it professionally tuned and serviced.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

HI,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with this question.

Has this piano been regularly tuned and maintained since you acquired it? How long have you had it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive only had it about a week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello hello hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says your online now im getting really annoyed since its been over an hour since ive answered your last question and u have not responded .Nothing not just a moment ill be right with you ,NOTHING.You are being very rude !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im tired of staring at this page ill be back later
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay, but I was helping another customer. Sometimes we get stuck on a particularly tough question.
Behning & Son was founded in 1881, when Henry Behning took his son into the company as a partner. The company was sold in 1932.
If your piano has been fully restored internally and regularly tuned, if it is in excellent cosmetic and playing condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $5,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of 40% of the retail amount, or approximately $2,000, depending on location and actual condition.
I hope this answer has been helpful to you. If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.
You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.
Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so unsatisfied I cannot even believe it. I want a full refund immediately.The ad said I did not have to pay anything if I was not completely satisfied.First of all I said my piano was in original condition,i never said it had been fully restored.Second of all ive talked to enough restoration specialist to know my piano would be worth thousands if it was completely restored.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
You did say the piano has been tuned, serviced and maintained. For a 100 year old piano, that would include replacement of worn internal parts.
Unrestored, your piano would retail in the $1,500 range, and you could sell it for $600.
However, if you are not satisfied, you can easily cancel this question.
Just click "Contact Us"on the bottom of your page. So sorry we couldn't make you happy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Hope Im not being charged because I will not pay it