John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

1907 grand upright. Needs repairs. Needing appraisal tax

Customer Question

1907 Howard grand upright. Needs repairs. Needing appraisal for donation tax purposes.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Samantha-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/musical-instrument-appraisal/98o9h-1907-howard-grand-upright-needs-repairs-needing-appraisal.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you.
Pianos have a fairly limited life in terms of the musical performance they produce which starts to diminish around the 70 year point. This is due to the wear and tear on the parts as the instrument is played and the ongoing natural deterioration with time of the many mechanical parts. This time line can be extended by regular maintenance and tuning and can be further considerably extended by a restoration or total rebuild of the mechanical parts.
Apart from a very few unique and rare instruments pianos are not generally bought as antiques in the furniture sense of the word because they are normally purchased as a musical instrument to be played. There are still a good many pianos of this type and age around and very often for sale.
Therefore based on the information I have, the fact that it needs repairs, the age and the current markets, I believe your piano has a value in the $100 to $400 range. I am sorry that it is not better news.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with an excellent service and I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click 'RATE TO FINISH', as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.
Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.
Hello. I see that you have not yet viewed my appraisal answer - it could be that you did not receive it, so I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please?