Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I would like to know the maker and age of our vintage

Customer Question

I would like to know the maker and age of our vintage fullsize upright piano. Besides it's style, we only are able to find one identifying feature; a raised (embossed?) number in the brass plate located near the top, behind the harp of strings. It's 52+ inches tall, very heavy dark wood, plain straightish style with a glass front in the door that covers the "insides". No ornate wood carvings. The keyboard cover is hinge & folds back twice. The white keys appear to be ivory. Eventually, I want to know if it's worth enough (monetary value) to spend good money to refurbish or not. Currently it needs tuning, is dirty inside and out, and has chips and scratches in the wood cabinet. With all that said, it's a really unique looking piano!
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the only way I can positively tell age is with maker and serial number. If those are no longer on the piano then it is impossible to be precise. If you can attach some photos I can provide an approximate era.

Hi, do you still want help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry- i have been so busy- i will try to get pictures to you tomorrow. Someone else said they thought it might have been a player piano that was changed to a regular one. Maybe you'll know more with photos. I am not in a rush for the info- just need to determine if its worth tuning cost. Thanks- will get back to you soon, Kathy
Thanks for your reply. Tuning usually costs about $100 and if you plan to keep it, then it is worth tuning. Having a piano technician out to tune it would allow him to also judge condition and look for a serial and manufacturer info as well. If you need more info besides if you think it should be tuned that's fine, just let me know.