John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I'm looking at buying a George Steck GS-72 baby grand, with

Customer Question

I'm looking at buying a George Steck GS-72 baby grand, with serial number KZ8321. I'm wondering when and where this was manufactured, and the piano is in perfect shape.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. Please do not click the RATE/ACCEPT/FEEDBACK button until you have an answer/valuation. I am looking into this for you now and I will come back to you with the details very soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also need to know the value. All I have to go off of at this point is what they are asking, and the condition the music teacher told me the piano was in. Here's a direct link to the piano on Craigslist. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/5123157712.html
Thanks for the extra info that is very helpful. I will come back to you.
Hello again. I could not get the link to Craigslist to work for some reason. On which of the many Craigslist lists is the piano shown as an 'all' search did not bring it up? Since around 2001 George Steck pianos have been made in the Far East by ASC which is a part of the Korean Company, Sejung. The quality of build and the high class materials which are being used in the build gives these pianos a very good reputation and puts them close to Yamaha and Kawai.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. See if this works. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/5123157712.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you found any new information for me? Value, when and where it was manufactured?
Thanks that works fine. The casework (the outside woodwork) looks to be in good condition. As yet, apart from finding that it is probable that this piano was made in China for the ASC company, I have not been able to track down a reliable list of recent serial numbers, as the makers do not seem to be publishing the full comprehensive list. That said, from various reports it seems that the earlier pianos from around 2001 were not so good but the more recent pianos are much improved. I mention this because it states on the Craigslist ad that ''expert reshaping and steaming of hammers for enhanced sound production and response''. This is unusual even if the piano is 14 years old unless it has had particularly heavy usage, which might indicate that this is one of the earlier pianos from post 2001. I still have some research to complete to cross refer some dating information and I will come back to you with this as soon as I have more details. I was just sending this when your message came through. Thank you for your patience whilst I complete the research.
Thanks again for your patience. By cross reference to other recorded serial numbers I believe this George Steck 5ft 8in Baby Grand Piano was made around 2005, so it is approximately 10 years old. As I said before, it seems quite early in its life to have had the work that has been completed on the hammers, so this may well indicate some quite heavy and extended use during the ten years. Aside from this, these pianos at this time in their manufacturing programme were not of very good quality and thus the price new and now is reflective of this. Looking at similar piano sales in recent years a figure in the $3,000 to $4,000 range for a private sale would be expected, so the $3,000 tag is about right for a piano which has perhaps had a little more than the normal expected use. Having said that, if you like the feel, touch. looks and sound of this piano when you play it, then, as really the purchase of any piano is such a personnel choice and what suits one person does not always suit another, it is your final decision. If you have any further doubt about it and would like more assurance I would suggest that you have a Piano Technician complete a full 'hands on' inspection before you complete the purchase. This should then determine how much use the piano has had and the condition for the future. Please have a look at this website:- www.ptg.org which is the Piano Technicians Guild. On this site you should find someone, hopefully quite near to where the piano is currently located. Look for a listing which indicates that they specialize in appraisals. Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with an excellent service and I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click 'RATE TO FINISH' or ACCEPT/FEEDBACK, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.
Hello again. I see that you have not yet followed up on my answer to your question so may I ask if you need any further help please?
I would also just like to let you know that unless you complete the question process by giving a rating for my answer I will not be credited for the answer. So if you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please click on the rating button/box. If for any reason you cannot see the rating button/box please just send a reply to this message on here with the rating you wish to give. Thank you again.