Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have inherited a P.A Starck Baby grand piano from my

Customer Question

Hi I have inherited a P.A Starck Baby grand piano from my parents. We can't seem to find a serial number. I know that it is in very good condition, the pins and all the strings and all the insides have been replaced and tuned in the last 5-7 yrs ago. We may have to sell it and if I have to part with it than I want a fair price.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the approximate age of the piano?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not. From the information I gather between 1900/1936. I don't have the piano at my home. I've tried uploading photos but it doesn't seem to be working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Ages and Historical Records of Pianos Sold in America Part VIBLUEBOOK OF PIANOS
"The Ages and Historical Records of Pianos sold in America"
PART VIIf your are looking for piano history or genealogy help, then this is the place for you. Please note that this is a working list and not all data is complete. Therefore, use this list as a starting point, and not as a final source. Our information is intended for use in public libraries and educational institutions.A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y ZSSAMICKSamick Musical Instruments Mfg. Co., Ltd., of Inchon, Korea, announced the formation of its new wholly American owned subsidiary, Samick America Corp., in February 1982.For years, Samick has been the chosen piano of leading conservatories, concert halls, and institutions of higher learning where music has always been an important part of the curriculum. Samick pianos have been awarded numerous Gold and Silver Medals by countries all around the world for excellence in tone, touch, quality, stability, durability, and overall superiority of materials used in manufacturing. The most recent awards were the International World Olympics Medal for superior design and the Grand Prix Award from Spain for superior overall quality and design.A complete new line of pianos was introduced at the 1982. Samick manufactures a full line of grand pianos (two 5,1", one 5'4", two 5'9", and one 6'10") along with a complete line of consoles, studios, and professional uprights (four 42", three 45", three 48", and three 52" models).Samick Musical Instruments Mfg. Co., Ltd., was established in 1958 in Inchon, Korea, and today is the oldest and largest piano manufacturer in Korea and the third largest in the world. From the small workshop of the early years, the Samick factories have grown into a network of modern and highly sophisticated manufacturing facilities. All Samick pianos are stained, filled, sealed, and covered with the finest quality finishes available. All exposed internal wood parts are sealed to protect them against all moisture and atmospheric conditions. Samick pianos are exported to Asian, European, and other world markets. The firm imports the finest components: Royal George felt from England; 21-ply, cross laminated pin blocks from Delignite of Germany; Sitka spruce from Alaska; Schwander style actions for verticals and Renner style actions for grands; German steel strings; hard rock maple for action parts; and nickel-plated cut thread tuning pins for better tuning stability.All Samick pianos are available in eight high polish and eight satin finishes, including ebony, white, walnut, mahogany, teak, ivory, oak, and rosewood.RETURN TO TOP OF PAGESAUTER PIANOThe Carl Sauter piano factory ranks among the oldest family run establishments in the piano industry. Its founder, Johann Grimm, learned his trade from 1813 to 1819 at the celebrated Streicher Workshops in Vienna. He passed his knowledge on to his adopted son, Carl Sauter, and ever since succeeding genera-tions of the Sauter family have upheld these traditions and enjoyed a firm position in the piano world.Sauter uprights and grands continue to maintain their stylistic and musical identity. Sauter uprights are available in three different sizes, each visually and tonally distinct: 110(43-1/3"), 120 (47-1/4"), an(l 130 (51"). Models 120 and 130 are equipped with the Sauter special double escapement action, R-2, as a standard feature. Carl Sauter and his son, Johann, rec-ognized the clear advantages of the R-2 in the mid-l9th century, and the R-2 has been deci-sively improved under the management of the present director, Carl Sauter. Because of its reliable rebound and its rapid return of the hammer ready for restriking, the R-2 action facilitates delicate and discriminative proper-ties of touch usually found only on a grand piano.The Sauter grand pianos have won praise from classical performers and jazz pianists alike. Sauter instruments reveal both construc-tion thinking and the consistent application of time-proven principles ofdesign. Sauter's modern facilities create the necessary conditions for producing all components to high-precision standards
Thanks for the photos. You included information about Samick and Sauter pianos though I'm not sure why. I don't generally use the "Bluebook" of pianos as information in regards ***** ***** is not completely reliable. The age range you provided certainly could be correct, though I would think this piano towards the later end due to the styling. From what I can tell, the cosmetic condition needs some work and that would be consistent with age. Pianos decline in condition with age and therefore decline in value. You mentioned a "previously appraised value" of $5k-$15k but to be honest, those figures are far above what this piano is currently worth. The replacement of the pins and strings does add some value, above the average price for age. In the current market, you should expect to sell for approximately $2,900-$3,600. Best wishes! Please remember, this website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your ((RATING)). Please, use the rating system box, select your rating and hit submit and rate our Q&A session today. If you do not see a rating option, know how to rate, or it will not submit, just reply and type out the rating you would like to leave. If you need to ask more questions on this concern, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
Hi, I noticed you viewed my answer but have not responded. Do you need any more help with this or do you consider this completed?
Please remember, this website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your ((RATING)). Please,
use the rating system box, select your rating and hit submit and rate our Q&A session today. If you do not see a rating option, know
how to rate, or it will not submit, just reply and type out the rating you would like to leave. If you need to ask more questions on this
concern, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help!
Glad to help! Please be sure to submit a positive rating or "accept" my answer before leaving so I am credited. Thanks!