Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Diana, I recently took out of my attic a Antonius Stradivarius

Customer Question

Hello Diana, I recently took out of my attic a Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno 1716, Made in Germany, with a round seal with crown and strings below marked BRUNO above and N.Y. below. Purchased this about 15 years ago at a flea market and forgot about it, I know it's not the real thing but just wondering what's it worth, bridge is missing, thank you Tom
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom. Thanks for choosing us.

My name is ***** ***** I'd like to see if I can help.
I'm glad you realize it's not a "real" one. I always feel bad telling someone that if they weren't aware.
Do you have any pictures of it?
When you're able, here's a few different methods of how can send photos:
If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" you can use that to upload photos
Here's another way that works really well:
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.
If those don't work you can email them.
Email the pictures to***@******.***
They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.
Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.
That should do it.
Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom.
Thanks for all the pictures. Those look great. I appreciate you taking the time to put them together.
The Bruno company was an importer out of NY. They weren't relegated to just importing violins, but violins were one of their biggest offerings. They were founded during the early 1900s and according to most records were bought out sometime around the 70s.
Given the style and Bruno's history, it was likely made around the 1930s to possible the 50s. It actually looks a bit like the Martin violins Bruno imported in from Germany around that time. It's too bad it doesn't have that label.
The condition isn't too bad. The body still looks to be in good shape. It has some scratches, but aside from that there is no major damage. The fingerboard is still intact. The tuning pegs still look good. It still has the original tailpiece in good shape too. Missing strings and the bridge isn't a huge defect when you take the rest into consideration. The wood looks to be maple.
Playability is always a factor in pricing them and unfortunately yours can't be check as is. Given what I see, it will likely value around $75 to $125 on the high side. If you were to restore and repair it, it would be worth about $225 to $300.
Prices depend a lot on where you try to sell it. Craiglist is viable, but it's so risky to have anyone coming to your house and it's risky to meet a stranger, so I don't usually recommend it. If you do go that route, choose some place very public and take someone with you.
A music shop can be a decent place to sell it, but they often have a lot in stock and might charge too much of a percentage.
Other alternatives that won't cost you a lot to list would be Ebay or Etsy. Etsy is actually pretty good for old vintage items, like instruments.
You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops, especially if you have any higher end shops near you. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
When you get the survey in email please consider filling it out. These ratings should be based on my professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any issues with the site or any values that are not as high as expected. I cannot control either one. Thank you so much!
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great evening.
~Diana