John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

Rudolph Wurlitzer spinet model #113246 value

Customer Question

Rudolph Wurlitzer spinet model
#113246 value
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you.
The serial number you have given dates this upright piano to a build year of 1930, so it is in the order of 85 years old.
Generally pianos have a limited life span of 60 to 70 years mainly due to the wear during use and natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time, but this can be extended by careful regular maintenance and tuning.
The spinet is a small upright with a height in the order of 36 to 40 inches and thus the soundboard is compact and the action was fitted into quite a restricted space. Due to these limitations the volume and quality of sound tended to compromised. Thus this size of piano is generally no longer produced.
The Wurlitzer history dates back to 1856 when they were established in New York. The Wurlitzer name is ***** ***** by Gibson Guitars.
For this appraisal I will assume that the piano has not been restored and thus is as originally built and has had reasonably regular tuning over the years. Therefore based on the information I have, the age and the current market, I believe that it has a retail value for a private sale in the $250 to $500 range. If there has been some restoration work carried out on the internal mechanics and the outside casework in the last 20 to 30 years then this could increase the value but it would depend on the details. So please let me know the details and I will see if this would change the current value.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with an excellent service and I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please click 'RATE/ACCEPT TO FINISH’, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my payment for this question is taken from your deposit or the amount you have agreed for the question only.
If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a true value based on the current markets and a reflection of recent similar sales. I do not have any control over the limitations and use of this website. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.