Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I am looking to purchase a used grand piano, and am

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking to purchase a used grand piano, and am curious about the value of one I am interested in. They are asking $5,200. It's a Schimmel Grand Piano Model 150-NR. It's made with dark walnut, with ivory keys, and has 3 pedals, and is rated in "good" condition. They believe it's made in Germany around 1961. Serial number is *****
Can someone please give me a better idea of the value of this piece as-is, or if refinished? I have 5 photos of the piano.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have additional photos on the way. As soon as I get them from the seller I will upload them.*I was also wondering if there was potential to increase the value of this piano by restoring it, and if so, what range might I expect?
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. Please do not click the RATE/ACCEPT/FEEDBACK button until you have an answer/valuation. I have viewed the picture you attached which seems to indicate that the casework - the outside woodwork - has been refinished but is very dark (?black) , but could I see more of the pictures, particularly of the inside mechanics, if you have them please. Is this a purchase from a dealer or a private purchase? Has it been regularly and recently tuned?
Hello again, the other pictures now seem to be attached - there was only one initially - so I can now see more details. From what I can see It looks to have had some restoration to the internal mechanics but I cannot be sure as to how much. I can now also see that it is not quite black but as you say it is dark.
Do you know when the work was completed and if the action parts such as the hammers and dampers were replaced as these could be quite crucial in giving a valuation.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Thanks for your reply. I'm actually waiting on the seller to send me additional photos and details about is past/present usage, and maintenance info, so as soon as I hear back I will forward the information along to you:)Thank you!
Many thanks for the information. I will await the updated details when you have them and complete the appraisal for you.
Hello again. As I have not heard from you for some time on this question. I am just enquiring if you have the extra pictures and information and if you still need help. Please let me know. Thank you.