John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I was just trying to find out the same thing...what is the

Customer Question

I was just trying to find out the same thing...what is the value of a 1925 Baldwin baby grand 48947. it looks brand new, but we are clueless about what to ask for it
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. Please do not click RATE/ACCEPT/FEEDBACK until you have an answer/valuation.
Has the player action been removed or is it still fitted? Do you know if this grand piano has had any restoration to the internal mechanics or the outside casework over the years or is it all still as originally built? Has it been regularly tuned and maintained please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is still fitted. The only thing that appears disconnected is a fabric covered wire that runs from the motor to the piano. I can't tell if it has been restored, but everything - inside and out seems to be in perfect condition. She has only had it for 3 years and has only dusted it, but it has never been tuned.
Thank you for the information.
Please allow me a little time to complete the research and come back to you.
Hello again, thank you for your patience.
Baldwin is a very well known make of piano and the older models tend to be better quality. Having said that, a piano which has not been tuned and maintained for some time can be at a considerable disadvantage in the selling market. The key tops should be easily replaced as Tuner/Technicians usually carry a few spare ones for such eventualities.
Whilst it is possible that the player part could be re-activated it is more than likely that it will be a very costly process, as in my experience player pianos need to be regularly played or they deteriorate very rapidly.
Therefore based on the information I have, the anticipated condition judged on the details you have given and the current markets, I believe this Baby Grand Piano has a value in the $2,500 to $3,000 range in a private sale.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with an excellent service and I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the 'RATING/ACCEPT/FEEDBACK’ button before you leave this page, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the experience I have and the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed to for this question only. If you do not see a ‘RATING’ button please just send a reply with the rating you would like to leave for me. Thank you.
If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the information supplied, the current markets and a reflection of similar sales from industry information together with on line and auction house results. I do not have any control over the limitations and use of this website. Many thanks and if you need any more help on this question please contact me.
Hello again. I see that you have not yet followed up on my answer to your question so may I ask if you need any further help please?
I would also just like to let you know that unless you complete the question process by giving a rating for my answer I will not be credited for the answer. So if you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, could I please ask you to click on the rating button/box. If for any reason you cannot see the rating button/box please just send a reply to this message on here with the rating you wish to give. Thank you again.