twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I cannot find the year of my piano so hard to put a blue on

Customer Question

I cannot find the year of my piano so hard to put a blue on it to sell. It is a Henry f miller baby grand with serial number HMG063EP 947681
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard to put value on it, not blue. Sorry
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you with this question. The serial number of your piano indicates that it was made in 1960. If it is in excellent, fully restored and regularly tuned condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $10,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of 40% of the retail amount, or approximately $4,000, depending on location and actual condition. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My research indicates there were only 5 digits in serial number for pianos from ***** ***** u til after 1965 and the. They started with 118400 so I don't know how it is determined it is 1960 with 6 digits beginning with a 9? Note site I am using as link. http://www.esteypiano.com/1-800-onapiano_AgeCalc.pdf
How did you ascertain the date different from all the sites I looked at!
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
The ***** ***** Piano Company used five digit serial numbers until 1962, when they began to use six digit numbers, starting with 102629. My mistake! I read the serial number as five digits. But Miller never produced a piano with a six digit number that began with 9, and neither did Mason & Risch, who produced pianos for Miller after 1980. Mason & Risch later became part of the Aeolian American Corp. They also had no serial number of six digits beginning with a 9.
Right now I'm trying to decipher the model number. Is the piano, by any chance, a player piano? Can you check the model number again for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is a 5ft 3" baby grand piano with ebony finish which is what the HMG063EP means. Sone the later pianos where produced in China, like this one since it says made in China on bottom, I need the year but can't find out how these pianos are serialized which is why I decided to payfor an answer. It is not a 1960s piano for sure.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that the serial number you have is actually for part of the piano, and not the piano itself. here is a diagram that will help you find the serial number:
http://www.concertpitchpiano.com/SerialNumberGrand.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no other number and no doubt that is the serial number. It is stamped with the type of piano. I assume since you cannot determine the age as requested that I will get a refund?
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely! I will Opt Out at this point. This will throw your question back to all the other experts. If someone else can help you, they will.
If you prefer to cancel your order and get a refund, just contact***@******.***.
Wishing you all the best.