Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a young Chang piano it is black lacquer type. It is

Customer Question

I have a young Chang piano it is black lacquer type. It is 51 1/2 " across & 42" tall. The exterior is in perfect condition. Needs to be tuned. Also have a bench in perfect condition. Needing to know approx value. I believe it was purchased in the mid 80's brand new. I remember there being something unique about the # ***** keys. It has 50 white keys & 35 black keys. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.
Is this an upright piano? Can you provide the serial from the inside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's upright. Where would I find the serial #
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u get the picture of the piano
Lift the top lid and examine the area around the strings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't see a serial #
Ok no problem. I'll just go with an approximate date of 1985. I'm working on this now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you
Thanks very much for your patience!
First off, there's really no reason this piano should have less than 88 total keys, since this is a standard instrument. Young Chang pianos are on the lower end of value compared to other big Asian companies like Yamaha and Kawai. That said, they're still good instruments, especially if you have kept it in good shape with regular tuning. Based on the photo, it appears to be in good cosmetic condition. Considering the used piano market, your description and depreciation since new, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $2,000-$2,600 in a private sale. Best wishes!
Please remember, this website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your ((RATING)). Please,
use the rating system box, select your rating and hit submit and rate our Q&A session today. If you do not see a rating option, know
how to rate, or it will not submit, just reply and type out the rating you would like to leave. If you need to ask more questions on this
concern, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.
Hi, I noticed you viewed my answer but have not replied or selected a rating. Do you need more help with this?