Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

What is our Hobart M. Cable upright piano, serial number 13368

Customer Question

What is our Hobart M. Cable upright piano, serial number 13368 indicating pre-1905, excellent condition (wood and internal), always in climate-controlled rooms worth?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.
What is the height of it and when was it last tuned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
58" high. Last tuned 20 years ago
Thanks for the info!
These old upright grand pianos are wonderful sounding instruments. The long strings and large sound board allow for a fuller and more developed sound. That said, because of the very old age and the high number of these types of pianos on the used market, prices stay pretty low. A piano has an average lifespan of 70 or so years before needing significant mechanical rebuilding. Also, annual tuning is highly recommended for these older pianos which helps keep them in good shape and allows a technician to diagnose any conditions that may become worse over time.
Based on your description of the instrument as well as the used piano market, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $150-$300 in a private sale. Best wishes!
Please remember, this website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your ((RATING)). Please,
use the rating system box, select your rating and hit submit and rate our Q&A session today. If you do not see a rating option, know
how to rate, or it will not submit, just reply and type out the rating you would like to leave. If you need to ask more questions on this
concern, please feel free to ask. I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.