Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a 1921 baby grand piano with Ellington/Cinncinatti on

Customer Question

I have a 1921 baby grand piano with Ellington/Cinncinatti on the inside of the keyboard cover. It was used at a concert in Oklahoma City in the late 1920s or early 1930s. The pianos used in the concert were then offered for sale. My grandparents bought this piano and my mother and aunts took lessons on it while growing up. It was signed by the pianist who played it, Jose Iturbi. The piano is in fair condition and has not been tuned in several years. Can you give me some idea of its value and how to go about selling it? Thank you.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.
The old age of the piano means there's significant value depreciation to consider. Pianos have an average lifespan of 70 years before most need some mechanical restoration. The lack of maintenance also takes away some value. The fact that it was used in a concert by that pianist who signed it does not increase value. Only on very rare occasions would something like that impact value. I would recommend a selling range of approximately $1,200-$2,000 and suggest selling privately by offering on Craigslist or in your local paper. Best wishes!
I would appreciate your positive rating so I am credited for my work. Thanks!