Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a mahogany grand piano, made around 1920, by George

Customer Question

I have a mahogany grand piano, made around 1920, by George Bent Co of Chicago. It is in excellent condition. The harp was taken out and re gilded 20 years ago, and at that time it was re-strung. I had it tuned last month. It has been my mother's or my piano since it was purchased. I would like to sell it. What is a good amount to ask for it, please?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.
Pianos are valued with a lot of emphasis placed on their condition, which declines over time. There are thousands of mechanical parts in a piano that wear with playing, moving, environmental factors, etc. The work you had done to the harp and strings does help with value some, though not as much as a mechanical rebuild. Based on the maker, age, type, described condition and used piano market, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $3,000-$3,800. Best wishes!
While you have already placed your deposit, I don't receive credit for my work until you rate me positively. Please do so before leaving--it really helps me out. Thanks!