Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

What is the value of a 1920s Barnett baby grand piano - is

Customer Question

What is the value of a 1920s Barnett baby grand piano - is it hard to keep in tune? Is it a quality practice instrument?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.
When was it last tuned? Can you provide the serial?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the number. It is a 1924 baby grand piano that I am looking to buy from someone. I'll have to look at it in person, but I want to know if this manufacturer/year is good generally. I'm assuming that they didn't keep it in perfect condition & I'll have to get it tuned, etc. - but want to generally know if it will be worth it. If it is more likely to be junk unless perfectly maintained, I'll pass.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is something I should evaluate when I go to inspect it to determine whether/not to take it, please just let me know.
There are only two entries in the piano atlas for such a company, both with no information. Because of that, there is a good possibility this company was not in business for long. Most piano companies went out of business during/after the depression. As far as this manufacturer is concerned, I've never heard of/seen/played a "Barnett" but since there were literally thousands of piano companies it is hard to have personal experience with each one. The age is of concern since a piano has a lifespan on average of about 70 years. For light use, if this piano is in good overall mechanical condition, it may be worth your time. I would strongly recommend having a local tuner come out and inspect before buying. If you need to use it for moderate or heavy use I would recommend against getting it. It probably doesn't have the life left in it you would need for that. I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for it (if it checks out OK with the tuner). Best wishes!
I would appreciate your positive rating at this time--it really helps me out! Please take just a quick second to select a rating before leaving. Thanks!
How, just checking in with you since our last interaction. I've seen no reply so wondered if you had any additional questions about this?