Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

Chickering and Sons baby grand piano Cherry wood serial number

Customer Question

Chickering and Sons baby grand piano
Cherry wood
serial number 207077
Good condition
Very playable condition
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.
Is it in original or restored condition? Who appraissd it at $25k and when?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in restored condition and that is what the insurance company paid to have it restored about 15 years ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thanks for the info. Why did an insurance company pay to have it restored? Where was it restored? Can you provide photos showing inside and outside of the piano?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water damage from and overflowed upstairs toilet. Sound board fine. Lost the Ivory keys. I could provide photos but I am not there and really do not know how to E-mail photos as I try to remain computer iliterate
Are you able to tell me the scope of work done? Was it just issues with the wood or was it rebuilt mechanically as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the wood was an issue but I think the mechanics were redone also. At the least the strings and the Chickering and Sons logo look brand new.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to need some time to look into this.
Thanks for your patience!
The serial dates this piano back to a build year of 1957. Chickering was one of the top piano brands quality-wise in the nation up until the early 1900's. Their financial troubles caused them to combine their company with some others that formed the American Piano Co. Quality was never again as high as it previously was. This means that your piano wouldn't be considered at the same high quality level as a baby grand built previous to 1908. The high price paid for the work done on this piano is concerning. New strings and wood repair/refinishing don't add up to a $25k job. Even fully restoring this piano wouldn't cost that much in most cases. I am also surprised the insurance company paid that amount instead of replacing the piano, which would have been much cheaper. Just because $25,000 of work was done doesn't mean the piano is actually worth that amount of money. Based on your description of maker, age, size, condition and considering the used piano market, I would suggest a selling range of approximately $7,500-$9,500. Best wishes!
I would appreciate your positive rating of my service before leaving, it really helps me out. Thanks!