Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I HAVE A VIOLIN WITH THE FOLLOWING LABEL ON THE INSIDE:MagginiJ

Customer Question

I HAVE A VIOLIN WITH THE FOLLOWING LABEL ON THE INSIDE:
Maggini
J Bonatare Squier
Boston, Mass
1896 (the 6 is hand written)
354 (also hand written)
It's 24", with a case and bow. The violin has no cracks and appears to be complete
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with this question.Can you be more specific about the condition of this violin, please? What are its flaws?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in the jewelry business most of my life and can accurately describe condition of a diamond or piece of jewelry.
A violin? That's different.
There are no cracks or anything visible on the any of the surfaces. It doesn't appear to have been refinished. There are normal wear marks on the edges. It's been in a closet in a home for the past 40-50 years. I guess the temperatures and humidity were correct because it's not dried out or warped. The strings look new, not rusty. One label inside is some other language or just too small for me to read. The other is as I described in my original question.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Jerome Bonaparte Squier (1838 - (1912) was one of the most influential violin makers of his day. He worked primarily in Boston and Lesiton, Massachusetts. Your violin is his copy of a Maggini model violin. 354 is the model number. If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $6,000. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.Thank you so much!