Appraiser Alan AOA C
Appraiser Alan AOA C, Appraiser & Adjuster
Experience:  Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.
53896401

I have an antique violin that my grandfather, JC Green owned

I have an antique violin that my grandfather, JC Green owned and played in the 1880's in Western NC. It was given to me and I played it in the 1950's. It is in its original case and the only concern I have is that no one else in the family would value owning it! I want to sell it but not for penny's!
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Appraiser Alan AOA C replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Personal Property Appraiser specializing in Musical Instruments and I am here to help! who is the maker of this violin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know - if there is a texting number, I can send 4 pictures of this instrument! Where would I find on the violin who made it?
The pictures would also show the bow and the violin case!

Hello Tamsie, in the sound holes are there any maker's names? And who was it that appraised it at $500 did you get a written report with a description of it with a date and basis of comparable of how they came up with a value on it?

To provide the best answer here, I am going to need some pictures if possible. If you could please provide these for me, it would greatly aid me in my search.

Because I am not allowed to share my email address or phone number, to share pictures, you have upload them directly to the chat box. To attach them here, click the paper clip icon and then browse to and choose your file. Upload and then follow the prompts to insert it. Once you push insert, wait for it to load. Once you are able to see the actual image and not the word "graphic”, then submit the message. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try to take pictures with a cameral that I can upload to my e-mail but it will be a while as we are in the process of moving into a house that we have built this year. Neither I now my husband know where we could find that appraisal of the violin that was done over 16 years ago. I had it appraised because our granddaughter/ now our daughter was in elementary school (4th or 5th grade) in about 2000 and wanted to take violin lesson. I didn't want to take any chances that she might harm the violin. Because of the estimated appraisal, I just went out and bought her one. This was done at a musical store in Wilmington, NC. I can't even remember the name. I will try to get back with you within a day or so! Appreciate any help you might be able to give me.

Mrs.Tamsie, please look in the S shaped sound hole and see if there is a label with a name on it. Also look on the bow and see if there is any name on it at the end of it.

please email the photos to JA and put At: Please forward to Mr. Ransdell. I look forward to seeing them please allow up to 24 hrs for them to get to me thank you. experts@justanswer.com

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a piece of paper on the inside of the right "S" shape sound hole. There is a Trade Mark that looks like a round pretzel and below it says "made in Nipon". There is nothing on the end of the bow except what looks like "silvery" pcolor metal and coming around to the other end of the strings it looks like sorta mirrow/ivory or something similar. Where the four strings are raised in the central area of the "S" shape sound holes, there is a star shape and below that the word "AUBERT". I will get you the pictures as soon as possible on my end! I had never seen the above before!

Hello Mrs. Tamsie, your violin was made in Japan circa 1910 - 1918. Aubert is a knock off of a French violin maker from France who was a famous luthier violin maker in the late 1800's.

Using my resources to look into your inquiry, I was able to find comparable sales that give your Violin made in the early 1900's in Japan a current secondary market value of $100 - $300 USD at auction or in a private sale.

I hope this answers your question! If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thanks!

Experience: Hello, my name's Alan! I'm a 14 year Appraiser with AOA appraisers, ISA & IRS Qualified, and 5 year Certified & Licensed Insurance Adjuster with 30+ Years Collecting & Dealing.