Tyler, MM, CAGO
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.

We have a wing & sons 4-pedal piano. It needs new ivory keys

We have a wing & sons 4-pedal piano. It needs new ivory keys and to be tuned. We are wondering what the value of the piano will be once it is fixed.

Do you need the serial number?

Please and thank you so much!
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, CAGO replied 2 years ago.
Hi, is this an upright or grand and what is the size? What is the serial? What condition is the piano in? Can you include some photos?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Mr. Taylor,

We will include photos for you. It is an upright and we see lots of patent no.s in the inside top of piano but don't see a s/n, Can you tell us where it might be located?

Please and thank you.

Judy

Thank you. The serial will likely be on the metal frame inside, above or between the strings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We found numbers on the back as follows:

Date No.

3-4-1890 422477

3-17-1891 448308

5-24-1892 475369

9-5-1893 504463

Below that on the far left side we saw:

NEW 6

4.

I will try to send you pictures soon.

Thank you.

Judy

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for the photos when you send them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did u receive my email & pictures. I sent them about an hour ago.

Thank you.

Judy

Sorry, I didn't. We aren't able to he direct emails from customers. For quicker response you could go to imgur.com and follow the instructions there to upload for free. Then you can copy and paste the links here for me to see them.
Hi, I just received the email that was forwarded from our support department with the pictures. I'm preparing an answer for you now. Thanks!
Thanks for your patience!

Wing & Son was a NY based piano company established in 1868 and going out of business in the late 1920's. They, like most other US piano companies, went out of business or were bought out around the time of the great depression. The style of yours was very common in the early 1900's and most piano builders made large upright grands. These old uprights are very common today and with the extreme age and related depreciation, they don't have too much value. Pianos decline in value with age based on many years of wear and tear--they don't gain value for being antiques. Examining the photos of the insides the hammers and pins look to be in pretty poor condition, which would be expected with its age. In its current condition it would be valued at about $100-$300. Realistically, tuning and replacing the broken keys would only add about $100 in value. To gain real value on this piano it would need restoration, but usually even after that is complete the piano's value will be slightly less than the cost of restoration. This is extremely common on old upright pianos and the market keeps the prices very low because of it. Sorry for the bad news but I wish you the best!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How much would restoration cost approximately?

Thank you.

The price depends upon the quality and scope of work as well as the restorer, but usually you can expect to spend about $6,000-$10,000 for full restoration of an upright. Best wishes!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for your help. We were not surprised by your response yet we were disappointed.

Please cancel my membership as we will not have additional questions.

Again, thank you.

Judy Thornton
Thanks Judy. Yes, that is often the case with these old pianos. You have not signed up for a subscription plan so you should have no further charges from us. If you would please use the feedback system at the bottom after you read this that will determine my credit for helping you today. Thanks and best wishes!
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience: Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.