John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a Young Chang upright piano that I would like to sell

I have a Young Chang upright piano that I would like to sell but have no idea what its value would be. It was purchased about 20 years ago. It is in very good shape but needs to be tuned. Could you please give me an idea of what the asking price should be.

Thank you.

pianoandmusic :

Thank you for your question. I am John and it will be a pleasure to help you. Please do not click 'ACCEPT' until I have given you an answer/valuation. Is it possible to locate a serial number for me please? Thank you.

pianoandmusic :

Please let me know if you need help locating the serial number. Thanks.

Customer:

I do not see a serial number on the back or inside the lid. Do you know where they're generally found? I may have the original paperwork but it will take me a while to locate it if I do.

Customer:

I don't know if this means anything but I found a receipt from the piano tuner and he wrote "Young Chang F108 #1646478".

Customer:

I believe we paid over $3,000 for it when we bought it if that helps any.

Customer:

Did this information help?

pianoandmusic :

Thanks for the information. Is it possible to send me some pictures please? Thanks. John.

Customer:

It will take me a while to do this and I'm not sure how to attach them to my response. I know how to attach them to an email...should I do it that way? What email address should I use?

pianoandmusic :

Hello again. Under JustAnswer rules I cannot give you a private email address (for security reasons). Can you see the insert/edit image icon (paperclip) on the reply menu?

Customer:

Yes

pianoandmusic :

OK, You click on the paper clip icon upload the pictures from your desktop and I should be able to view them.

Customer:

Okay, this may take some time for me to do this so please be patient.

pianoandmusic :

I have to be away from the office for a while, so look forward to helping you further. Regards. John.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

I didn't know what size to crop it to so I did another one a little bigger.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Is there something more you need from me?

pianoandmusic :

Hello again. Thank you for the excellent pictures. I can confirm that your piano is dated circa 1992. The piano looks to be in good to excellent condition and should achieve a price in the range of $2000 to $2500. However, please bear in mind that it is a buyers market at the moment and there are a good many pianos for sale out there so you may achieve considerably less than this figure. If you are intending to sell it is better to start with a high price and negotiate down if necessary.

I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I receive any recompense for assisting you - you may have made a deposit/have a subscription but no payment is released to an Expert until you click on 'ACCEPT'. Also I would be grateful if you could please complete the feedback section. Many thanks and if you need any more help please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you and best regards.

Pianoandmusic. (John)

Customer:

John...this is most helpful. Thank you for your time and effort.

Customer:

I do not see an "accept" button. I only see the rating options. I want to make sure you receive your compensation so please let me know where to find the accept button or if I just rate your service.

pianoandmusic :

Hello, the accept/submit button was disabled to stop people from paying too early. It should be available now, if not please let me know. Many thanks and regards. John.

Customer:

John...there is no accept/submit button, only the reply button. Please let me know how to proceed. I have one more quick question. Do you think it would be better to sell the piano to a dealer for resale or do you think I would get a better price by selling it outright?

pianoandmusic :

Hello again. To get the best price, although it may take longer, it is better to sell privately, because a dealer will offer you far less in order to make a profit. However, if you want to sell quickly then a dealer is best. I will put my standard accept statement again and hopefully the accept/submit will now be shown. If it doesn't, please could you contact JustAnswer and ask them to make the payment for you. All the best. John.

It has been a pleasure to help you. Best wishes. John.