Tyler, MM, CAGO
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.

My parents have a Chickering Baby Grand Piano. how can i determine

My parents have a Chickering Baby Grand Piano. how can i determine its value? My e-mail isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, CAGO replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question! Can you provide the serial number and tell me about its condition? How often is it tuned and has it ever had any major work done?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The piano was purchased by my parents in probably 1960 (+-) from the Winter Piano Co in Erie, PA. It was used during those dreadful years when my parnets forced my sister, brother and I to take lessons. Since I'm 60 years old, it gives you an idea on use. Probably not palyed in 40-50 years. My mother had it finished in an antique white in about 1975. Where is the serieal number located?
It should be on the iron frame inside the piano, near the tuning pins. But if it was new around 1960 I can use that age if you would like.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let me get the serial number. Their house is within walking distance of mine. Knowing my mother, I doubt if it was used when she purchased it, but never know. I'll get back to you tomorrow. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, I simply cannot read the first couple of numbers. I "think" the number is XXXXX but it could be 23,500. Sorry, that's the best I can do. Whatever you can suggest from what I gave you would be great. Thanks, again.

Bob

Ok, that number would actually date it to pre-1900. Is there a chance you left off a number and it's six digits long? If you're pretty sure of the age I can just go with that if you'd like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can only see five digits, but even the first and second digit is really poor. there could easily be a sixth digit. I just can't make anything else out.
Please remember to click the ACCEPT button before leaving this page. I am not credited for my time unless this button is pressed. Thanks!

Ok, I can go with the date of 1960. Chickering pianos used to be very high quality instruments but in 1908 ownership changed and so did quality. Based on the condition you describe, the age and the current piano market your Chickering piano would be valued at approximately $3,800-$4,600 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!

Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience: Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.