pianoandmusic
pianoandmusic, John
Experience:  Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. Fully qualified Technician for 22+ years. Qualified Piano Tuner. Partner in a large Piano Business, experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for 15+ years.
62809984

value of a Belarus upright piano, made in Belarus

What is the value of a Belarus upright piano, made in Belarus and purchased in 1994 or 1995?
Additional info:  The dimensions:  57 1/2" long x 24 1/2" deep (at keyboard) and 38 1/2" high.  Number stamped inside:  735960

One owner---I purchased it in Belarus.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  pianoandmusic replied 2 years ago.

pianoandmusic :

Hello. Thank you for your question to JustAnswer. It will be a pleasure to help you with your piano appraisal. Has the piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Also are you able to locate a serial number? Thanks. John.

Customer :

It has never been tuned or used. The only number I found is the one that was stamped inside (735960). Is there another possible location for a serial number?

Customer :

Are you still there?

pianoandmusic :

Please bear with me I am just checking my research. John.

Customer :

Thanks.

pianoandmusic :

Belarus Pianos was Established early 1930’s and your serial number seems to indicate circa 1994. As to value, assuming that it is still in very good condition, the only problem being that the tuning may have become unstable, because it has not been regularly tuned and used. For a private sale I would suggest a price in the order of $1000 possibly $1500, maybe more if the right buyer is interested and the casework is attractive and undamaged.

Customer :

How much would you subtract from the asking price if a ca. 1" square of the veneer was sheered off during a move, but still available to be properly glued back on?

Customer :

The damage is on the lower left side, not in front.

pianoandmusic :

I'll be back to you in a moment. John.

pianoandmusic :

I think, but without seeing the damage that you would have to lower the price by about $200. But try it on a full price to start with. Also if you a know wood refinishing expert local to you, ask for an approximate cost for the repair and then you can tell the buyer the figure during the negotiations. Hope this now helps. John.

Customer :

Thank you.

pianoandmusic :

Thanks. I suggest, that as these pianos have a tendency to be unstable in the tuning, it would be an idea to have it tuned before anyone views it. The tuner/technician would probably give you a further indication of its value and may have some idea on the casework repair cost.

I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I receive any recompense for assisting you - you may have made a deposit/have a subscription but no payment is released to an Expert until you click on 'ACCEPT'. Also I would be grateful if you could please complete the feedback section. Many thanks and if you need any more help please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you and best regards.

Pianoandmusic. (John)

pianoandmusic, John
Experience: Piano Teacher CT ABRSM. Fully qualified Technician for 22+ years. Qualified Piano Tuner. Partner in a large Piano Business, experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for 15+ years.