Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

What is the estimated value of a Steinway upright piano from

Customer Question

What is the estimated value of a Steinway upright piano from 1939, average condition, not restored. I think the SN is 299762 or
S2969?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 4 years ago.
Hi, what is the height of this piano? How often is it tuned?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure, beside the SN is says “40”, maybe this is the height? Have no information about the tuning...
A 40" tall Steinway is pretty rare. A you able to measure it or find a picture of it? The difference in height will mean a difference in value.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's in an antique store about 30 minutes away from my house. I just called them and they measured it, they said it was about 39"
Please remember to click the ACCEPT button before leaving this page. I am not credited for my time unless this button is pressed. Thanks!

Thank you for the information. At 39" tall this would be considered a spinet piano which is the smallest size of piano made. Most Steinway uprights were much larger but they did produce some spinet and console sized pianos as well. Based on the current piano market and your description of average, unrestored condition, this 1939 Steinway spinet would have an approximate value of $1,400-$2,100 in a private sale with final price determined by actual condition and local market. Best wishes!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you
No problem