Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

Searching for the value of the family piano. Built by H. C.

Searching for the value of the family piano. Built by H. C. Bay Company in Chicago. Serial number appears to be 17947. The front face close to the keys has Solo Concerto stamped on it. Unfortunately, the story is that when this piano was tuned back in the 1950's, the technician told the family that the player mechanism wasn't worth repairing, so, he removed all player parts. The exterior case is fair to good condition. Thank you for your response.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Can you tell me the height of your upright piano? Was the last time it was tuned in the 1950's or has it been tuned more recently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Height of the upright piano is 53 1/2 inches. Family had the piano tuned within the last 2 years.
Please remember to click the ACCEPT button before leaving this page. I am not credited for my time unless this button is pressed. Thanks!

Thanks for the information!

This piano was built in 1924 based on that serial number. This piano company didn't last too long--they went out of business in 1928. Player pianos were big in the early 20th century and the 20's were really when production was strong. Players weren't built much anymore after the depression hit. The large size of the piano was also normal for that time though pianos started getting vertically smaller in the 1930's. Based on the current piano market as well as your description, this piano has an approximate value of $200-$350 in a private sale. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!