Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  Active professional dealer since 1981

string bass Johan Rauner, 1964 serial number 777

Customer Question

Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.

Hi! My name is Will and I can assist you. Based upon a review of information you provided and published completed sales data for similar items, the current market retail replacement value for your bass is estimated to range from $4,000 to $6,000 based on overall condition and regional market demand. Hope this information helps and thanks for using JustAnswer!

If my information has been of assistance to you, please remember to click the ACCEPT icon so I will be credited by JustAnswer for my time and efforts (at no additional charge to you). Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
This appraiser's "certification" appears to be in civil war weaponry, not clasical mid 20th century string instruments, bass instruments in particular. The answer was very general and did not supply sales history, nor history of the maker. Therefore there is no evidence for the value. I cannot use this valuation for either insurance nor for the IRS because of the lack of justification and the fact that the appraiser is not an expert on this particular subject.
Expert:  Will replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, but I am a licensed and certified fine arts appraiser with a sub specialty in Civil War memorabilia...I have been buying, selling and brokering musical instruments for over 25 years nationwide. No information from anybody on this site will meet any insurance or IRS qualification because that type of appraisal (which will cost you $450 to $750 minimum) must be on registered letterhead and have three current market comps quoted. This site is intended to provide basic, not advanced services. I have no problem with you not accepting a perfectly legitimate appraisal, but I do not appreciate insulting speculation on my fields of expertise. You did not ask for a history of the maker, which is not relevant to pricing to begin with--and the market sales comps are current. Without seeing the actual piece in person, NOBODY can give you a more precise range. I suggest, for what you are asking, that you contact a local certified appraiser -- that is the only way you will get what you are asking for.