Tyler, MM, CAGO
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.
21042015

I have a Stroud Aeolin baby grand piano. The registration

I have a Stroud Aeolin baby grand piano. The registration # XXXXX whatever it is is A40351. What is the value of this piano? Where would I be best to list this for selling, who covers moving expense, etc.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, CAGO replied 2 years ago.
Please remember to click the ACCEPT button before leaving this page. I am not credited for my time unless this button is pressed. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question!

Yes, Stroud pianos were made by Aeolian in the beginning then later by Weber and Aeolian-American. The serial number you listed dates this piano all the way back to 1914. Because of the very old age of the piano the value will be rather low. Old pianos without restoration are most often considered in fair to poor condition due to age. Based on that, this piano has an approximate value of $850-$1,150 in a private sale if in good or better condition with regular maintenance. The best way to sell something like this is locally by using print or online ads. Craigslist.org is always a good place to start. Moving the instrument is always the responsibility of the buyer so that takes some pressure off of you as the seller. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know what condition it's in for resale? Some of the keys have small chips in them, the bench has some of the wood laminate coming off or chipped. Obviously I would like to get top dollar. Is the anything I can do to help get it? It has to my knowledge been well taken care of, tuned, etc. from the previous owner to us. Can I clean it, etc. to enhance it's value? Any help you can give on getting top dollar would be appreciated.
Thanks for your reply. There's nothing you can do unfortunately to help value besides having a technician come in and repair the problems with the piano, which really wouldn't be a good investment at this point. Because of the damage you should anticipate the low end of the value range I provided you. Old pianos with damage can be hard to sell. Keep the price right and consider reasonable offers. There are a LOT of pianos on the market today, kind of like houses. Jump on a buyer when you get an opportunity. Best wishes!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Are there any better places than Craig's list to list the piano for sale, like a music site or something like that? I will accept the answer later tonight when I get home from work. Again, sorry to take so long.
There are websites specifically for selling pianos but those are geared toward a national audience and most sales occur with the more expensive pianos. Yours is best suited for local advertising like via Craigslist because there are plenty of pianos like yours throughout the nation that one could buy instead of paying $500+ to ship one from out of state. Best wishes!
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience: Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.