Tyler, MM, CAGO
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.
21042015

Kohler& Campbell model "Tom Thumb" piano

What is the value of a Kohler& Campbell model "Tom Thumb" piano serial number 262340 from the mid to late 1920s or 1930s in oriental motify red with design.  I have photos I can upload
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, CAGO replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question! Is it in original condition? Please do upload the photos if you can! Use the paperclip icon in the tool bar. If you don't see the toolbar make sure you are using internet explorer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mr. B. Taylor,

The Kohler& Campbell, New York, USA, "Tom Thumb" piano is in original condition. The piano is was said to have been in my grandfathers night club in Buffalo NY, according to my now deseast mother. It has been in the same condition since mother got it after her mother died, when I was a kid. I am now 63.

I tried attaching the photos, but the files proved to be to big and would not send. I can email you a link to a photo share site where you can view them. Please email me you address at: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Thanks

Bob S

Hi, Bob, thanks for the information. The photos have to be under 5mb to send and you must wait for them to load before submitting. If it still doesn't work you can email them toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and copy this information into the email:

"For B. Taylor in reference to this question: http://www.justanswer.com/musical-instrument-appraisal/5uu2f-kohler-campbell-model-tom-thumb-piano.html"
Thanks for your patience! I did receive the pictures from our moderator today and have taken a look at them. The serial number listed on the metal plate dates this piano back to 1932. The Milton piano company built these, though this company was under Kohler and Campbell control. Tom Thumb pianos were built just like regular upright pianos, they just had a smaller scale with fewer notes. These types of pianos were useful in situations where size was at a premium and could be found in clubs and bars, rehearsal rooms and with traveling shows (many of these pianos weighed less than 200 pounds and could be easily moved by two people). In a selling situation you're looking for somebody who wants the piano for purposes of novelty rather than for heavy use in a musical situation. The age does take some value off the price but the interesting paint job adds some. Based on what these are selling for today as well as the condition and age of yours I would value it at approximately $750-$950 in a private sale depending on your local market. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience: Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.