Tyler, MM, CAGO
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.

I have a Story and Clark upright piano with a serial number

I have a Story and Clark upright piano with a serial number of 188073. I think it was manufactured in around 1947. It is in need of the restoration but was wondering what it's value would be.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, CAGO replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question!

Can you tell me the height of your piano please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is 40 inches tall with curves under the sides to the front legs. There are two front legs on both sides attached to the curves. It is 60 inches long
Thanks for the information!

I did confirm your piano to date back to 1947 based on the serial number you provided. At 40" tall this is considered a console sized piano, which is on the smaller side of upright pianos. The smaller the piano the shorter the strings which reduces quality of sound. Unfortunately because of the damage and repairs needed to your piano as well as the very old age you won't be able to realize a high value for it. In the current piano market, your piano as described has an approximate value of $150-$225 in a private sale. If it was in better condition the value would improve to approximately $300-$400. Your best bet is to sell it as is for what you can get for it as having it repaired would not be financially worth it. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!

Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience: Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.