Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

Upright Janssen piano value

Customer Question

Hi I have an upright Janssen piano. Serial number 70685. I'm not sure of the year, but it has 1929 written in pencil next to serial number?? (probably by a previous owner). Piano is in good condition, just needs tuning. I need to know exactly what year and model this is and  how much it is worth if I want to sell it?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question!

1929 is indeed the year this piano was built. Looks like somebody already looked it up, likely a piano tuner. As for model that's about impossible to know. Piano models change yearly and many pianos didn't have model names or numbers. Pianos are more commonly referred to by their maker, type and size. In this case you have what appears to be an upright grand due to the tall case.

Unfortunately this piano is not in good condition. Based on the pictures of the case and peek into the inside this piano would be graded in poor condition. The felt looks like it needs to be changed, the tuning pins look like they haven't been touched in decades and there may not be enough clearance between them and the iron plate which leads to instability in tuning. The cabinet also appears to be visibly worn, though the value of a piano comes primarily from the mechanical parts. Because of the condition and the very old age of it this piano has a low value. In present, untuned condition it has an approximate value of $75-$150 in a private sale based on the current piano market. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!