Tyler, MM, CAGO
Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.
21042015

I have a Baldur Frank Eurta.M.giger 1872 grand piano, and

I have a "Baldur Frank Eurta.M.giger 1872" grand piano, and I am trying to find information about it with the prospect of having it appraised and sold.
Thank you
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, CAGO replied 3 years ago.
Hi, can you tell me the length of it from tip of keys to the back? Also, do you have any pictures you can include here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mr. Taylor,

Yes, I will email you tomorrow with the information you requested along with photos. We just drove back from Los Angeles, and I need to go to bed. In addition, I want to take photos in the light.

Thank you,

Sherry Blandin

No problem, I'll look for your reply tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

graphicgraphicGood Morning Mr. Taylor,

The piano measures from the back to the tip of the keys of 61.5 inches.

I misspelled a name on the insignia...it is 'gigr' instead of 'giger'.

I have several photos I will be sending you in several email mails. Here is the first installment. Let me know if there are any problems.

The piano seat did not match the piano. The antique warehouse I bought it from in 1986 made the sheet music stand for me. The base was there already. Not a very good job, but fulfilled its purpose. Everything else was original. The plate which I presume would have the serial number is XXXXX

I learned to play at age 40, as well as my 2 girls!

Let me know if you have any problem receiving the photos! I will send one for a test.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Hi, thanks for the information! Unfortunately the photos did not go through. Please ensure you are able to see them in the question box before sending or they won't come through. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do, but it will have to be later this afternoon...i have an appt.

Thanks!

No problem, I'll be around most of the evening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

graphic

Let me know if this works. I reduced the resolution and size. If this works, I have more to send. I wish I could send them to you directly from my email adddresss to your email address! It would be so much faster!!!!! I have a problem with patience!

Yes, that one worked! Sorry but we aren't allowed to communicate outside of this website but if you upload more here like that I can see them. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Okay...we are off and running! Here they come! I live in the country and have a slow wireless service! I will send the rest in another email. I don't want to go over the 5mb limit

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Thank you for all the pictures, that helps quite a bit! It looks like this piano was likely built between 1900-1920 based on the pictures. The finish needs a good bit of work on the exterior and the mechanical action likely needs rebuilding. In a private sale this piano would be valued at approximately $1,500-$2,100 depending on market and actual condition. Should you have a technician out to tune it up before selling he could inspect the interior of the piano and give you an idea of its condition. I hope this helps and wish you the best!

Once I have answered your question, please press ACCEPT if our conversation is complete as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept does not charge you again it just credits me for my work. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Please press either Accept or Reply before leaving this page so I know how to proceed. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Again,

So would the date on the insignia define the date of origin of the manufacturer? Who would Frank Eurta.M.Gigr be?

How do you know it was built between 1900-1920? Is it the design of the legs, etc?

I read somewhere that Baldur went into bankruptcy and was bought out. True/False?

You have been really helpful! Funny, I bought the piano in 1986 for $2000!

After you answer this email, I most definitely will leave positive feedback, B. Taylor!

Sherry

Thanks for your reply. The Baldur piano company was founded in 1872 in Germany. The design of your piano led me to the approximate date. The design of the case is relatively basic which leads me to believe after 1900, close to 1920. Not sure about the company going bankrupt, honestly, during this time there were so many piano companies that sprouted up out of nowhere and died a few decades later. Only a SMALL percentage of companies that were in existence 100 years ago are still in business now. Hope this helps--best wishes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more...on the insignia, who would Frank Eurta.M.Gigr be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr. Taylor...did you get the last question? I had a message that their was a problem with the website, then it went away.

Thanks, Sherry

I've stepped out for dinner. Will be back in about 10 minutes thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gottal Eat! No problem!
The "Frank" I'm sure stands for Frankfurt where the company was located. The rest I'm not 100% sure of. Most likely German. Most pianos included information about the company and location and sometimes included the date of establishment. Nothing too historical here. Hope this helps!

Tyler, MM, CAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience: Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. 22 years of training & experience.