Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

Weber Baby Grand piano approximate resale value

What is the approximate resale value of a Weber Baby Grand piano, mint condition, one owner, with original bench; purchased in 1991. Played daily, tuned periodically. I live in Las Vegas.

Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 years ago.

Weber was sold to Young Chang in 1986 and all pianos after that period were made at their factory in Seoul, Korea. Young Chang makes a decent instrument but not at the top tier of Asian piano manufacturers. There are many pianos built today that are made in Asia but carry the name of a defunct company--this is one of them.

For this reason the piano does not have a high value. You also must consider 20 years of depreciation which takes a significant amount off of the price you originally paid for it. Based on the market for Weber pianos built after 1986 and considering the age and condition of yours I would value it at approximately $3,400-$3,800 in a private sale. I agree with your tuner who says it will sell quickly at the prices he quoted you. Many buyers will see that price as lower than expected for that piano. The finish of your piano may make it more difficult to sell as it is not standard and does not fit well into all decors.

I hope this helps and wish you the best!