Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

How much would a 1875 Jesse French repeating action piano be

How much would a 1875 Jesse French repeating action piano be worth. Inside the top when you lift it is printed sn#56739, New Castle, Ind, special design. I have both the piano and bench.
Hi, when was your upright piano last tuned and maintained? What is the overall condition?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was tuned prior to my acquiring it around 1993. I have always cleaned the outside and then used lemon oil on it twice a year. The paint or finish is original and a dark color but looks aged (kind of cracked or weathered) which is why I put lemon oil on it to try to put back some moisture. Some of the ivory keys are off, I have most of them but not the ones that were off when I got it. I also don't have the roller that held the music inside to play. I've looked off and on in antique stores for it and the music roles but haven't found any. Sorry it's taken so long to answer, I have a 4 year old grand daughter that likes a lot of attention.
Thanks for the reply. The French piano company was established in 1875 and player pianos really didn't come around until the 1890's so your piano would have been built after that. You might have seen a patent date on the piano saying 1875. I don't have my book with me but, assuming there are records for this company, I can look up the date of build when I return home tonight. Unfortunately this piano has little value today. The reasons for that are several but include the extreme age, poor condition and lack of interest in vintage player pianos today. Most folks aren't looking for fixer-uppers when it comes to old pianos--they want them in restored condition or at least excellent condition. The lack of maintenance (tuning, etc) of your piano will have allowed the action to continue to age and deteriorate. I wish I had better news for you. As described, your piano would be valued at approximately $50-$200 in a private sale based on market. Best wishes!

Hi--just wanted to get back with you and let you know your piano was built in 1913 according to serial number records. Please don't press accept again as you'll be charged a second time. Thanks and best wishes!