Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

I have a Sohmer & Company New York grand upright piano. It

I have a Sohmer & Company New York grand upright piano. It was built on October 14, 1890. The serial number is XXXXX#5. It is wood with ivory keys. What is this worth?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question!

Sohmer was one of the bigger US piano companies and manufactured many pianos in their day. The serial number you gave me actually dates this piano to 1903. I'm assuming the date you listed was found inside the piano which was most likely a patent date. Upright grands have a slightly higher value for early vertical pianos due to increased size and better sound production. That said, very old pianos like yours have a rather low value in original condition. They obtain higher value when rebuilt or fully restored. Assuming yours is in otherwise excellent condition it would be valued today at approximately $250-$400 in a private sale based on your market. Best wishes!

Once I have satisfactorily answered your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept only moves your deposit out of your Just Answer account, it does not charge you a second time. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!