Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

I bought an antique baby grand piano with the words Max Hamburger

I bought an antique baby grand piano with the words "Max Hamburger Wien" on the front. I can find pianos by KARL Hamburger that look almost exactly the same, but I can find nothing on a MAX Hamburger. Does anyone have any information? The serial number is: 1527
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I've looked into this for you but also find no information on a "Max Hamburger" or a piano company that begins with "Wien". That said, in looking at serial number records for the Karl Hamburger company they seem to line up with the number you list. There are two likely outcomes here. The first is that Max is a descendant of Karl or another family member so associated. The other is that it was a totally different piano company and wasn't neither in business long enough or good enough to make it and due to this records don't exist. I wish I could offer more information here but I hope this helps a little! Best wishes!

Once I have satisfactorily answered your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. Pressing Accept only moves your deposit out of your Just Answer account, it does not charge you a second time. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!