twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.

What is the value of sterling silver flute, Wm. S. Haynes Co,

What is the value of sterling silver flute, Wm. S. Haynes Co, Boston, Serial # XXXXX?
Also have Alto flute, Serial #A1171, K.G. Gemenhardt Co, and
Saxophone, Selmer, Mfg in Paris, Serial # XXXXX
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be pleased to help you with this question. We are restricted to one question per request. The other two will have to be listed as separate questions. Which one would you like me to do first?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The value of the flute, please. Thanks. This flute (and all the other musical instruments) belonged to my father, who was an instrumental music teacher and a professional musician. He is deceased & we would like to sell his instruments, although this is difficult to do, both personally and monetarily. Any suggestions as to how to go about selling would also be helpful. Thanks.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
So sorry for your loss.

The serial number of your flute indicates that it was built in 1956. If it has not been reconditioned, you should know that the Haynes Company provides service. If you go to their web site at you can arrange to have it overhauled.

In unrestored condition, your flute has a current fair market value of approximately $900. If it were restored, its fair market value would be $1,900 - $3,000.

My advice for selling this instrument is to do it locally. You can advertise in your local newspaper, on Craigslist, on the bulletin board of your local supermarket or on the bulletin board of a local music school. That way, you won't have to ship the flute.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you. Please click "Accept", as that is the way I am compensated by JA for my service to you. Clicking "Accept" will not result in any additional cost to you. Feedback is welcome, and bonuses are appreciated. Thanks for using Just Answer!