twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

How much is an authentic Jacobus Stainer (1693) violin worth

How much is an authentic Jacobus Stainer (1693) violin worth with the original case and bow? N ABFAM PROPE OENIPONTUM
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be pleased to help you with this question.

An authentic Jacob Stainer violin would not carry the date 1693. Stainer died in 1683.

Would you like to tell me a little about your violin, so I can value it for you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My fiancee is from Germany. Said his son took the business over. The violin was given to him by his grandfther...passed down from generation to generation.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Stainer is considered to be the best Austrian luthier. There is no evidence that he had a son who took over his business.

Your violin is most likely a German copy of a Stainer, made in Markneukirchen, where many factories made good student violins, around 1900. It is a very common practice to put "tribute" labels in violins, and they don't reliably indicate the maker.

If it is in excellent condition, your violin has a current retail (replacement) value of approximately $600 - $1,000.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you. Please click "Accept", as that is the way I am compensated by JA for my service to you. Clicking "Accept" will not result in any additional cost to you. Feedback is welcome, and bonuses are appreciated. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I looked at the Smithsonian Institute's website. Since the violin was made in 1693, it might have been made by Marcus Stainer - some literature says he was sometimes erroneously labeled as Jacobus' brother - perhaps his son... He was said to be a monk and died in 1693. He made a few instruments under Jacobus. Would this change the valuation at all?
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
No - the label is not genuine. The violin was not made in 1693. This is a common label, and it is not genuine. I'm sorry.