twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.

The value of a violin in good, playable condition, made by

Customer Question

The value of a violin in good, playable condition, made by Caspar De Salo in Brescia in 1495?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be pleased to help you with this question.

Gasparo Da Salo, one of the world's great violin makers, was born in 1542 and died in 1609.

Your violin is a late 19th or early 20th century German factory violin, probably made in Markneukirchen for export to the west. It has a Da Salo label, as most of these violins have labels naming the great luthiers, such as Stradivarius and Amati. These are still considered to be good student violins.

The price range for this type of violin is $300 to $1,000, depending on condition and tone.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you. Please click "Accept", as that is the way I am compensated by JA for my service to you. Clicking "Accept" will not result in any additional cost to you. Feedback is welcome, and bonuses are appreciated. Thanks for using Just Answer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The year on it is 1595, I typed the wrong date. Corrected it is;

Caspar da Salo in Brescia

I apologize for bad typing. Does that affect your answer?

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,
No - the answer is the same. If you had an actual da Salo violin, it would be a baroque instrument, and would look nothing like the violins you are accustomed to seeing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You for your answers, I appreciate it.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 years ago.
My pleasure!